lol夏季赛2016直播

News

lol???2016??

Friday, April 24, 2020

Print this page Email A Friend!

The realities of the COVID-19 pandemic have significantly impacted operations at the Island Traffic Authority's depot at Swallowfield in St Andrew.

A visit by the Jamaica Observer Wednesday saw people who were not wearing masks being told to leave the premises by the lead examiner on duty.

“We cannot accommodate you without a mask. The prime minister said we are not to accommodate persons who are not wearing their masks [so] if you do not have a mask on you cannot stay here,” the examiner insisted.

While employees were masked for the most part, the Observer witnessed one female in the administrative office without a mask at one point as well as one male. Other employees were overheard instructing the female to don a mask when she exited the building en route to another area on the premises.

Motor vehicle fitness checks are also different in nature.

Vehicles, upon ascending the ramps, are checked as customary for functioning headlamps, park lights, windscreen wipers, horns and signalling indicators. No attempts were, however, made to inspect the undercarriage of the vehicles as is normally done. Vehicles are also not test-driven by examiners, as would be done at other times.

Asked whether vehicles were being driven at all one examiner disclosed, “not currently because of the whole COVID thing; we shouldn't even be here but you know, we have to be here so we have to do some static checks” to ensure standards are observed.

Asked what guarantee there was that defective vehicles were not slipping through the cracks he said: “We have our checks that we do. [As] you know, we are the experts.”

Asked whether a vehicle with defective braking could be picked up by those 'expert' eyes, he said “all of those are being looked out for”.

Prime Minister Andrew Holness on Monday said all Jamaicans are mandated to wear masks in public spaces.

The Government had previously ordered persons with flu-like symptoms and respiratory illnesses, individuals over the age of 65, and others with underlying conditions such as diabetes or hypertension to wear a mask in public. But on Monday Holness said that had now changed and everyone is required to wear masks as part of several new and adjusted measures aimed at containing the spread of the virus.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive

ADVERTISEMENT

POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper ? email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

With signs that the COVID-19 pandemic isn't anywhere near ending, how are you coping?
I am impatient to get back to normal life
22%
I'm happy to spend time with family
10%
I'm concerned for those who are vulnerable
46%
I'm anxious about my health
13%
I'm lonely
5%
I'm angry about restrictions to my freedom
4%